Best Hexacopters for Your Money
One for Every Budget – Beginners to Advanced
Just as you’re getting comfortable with quality camera quadcopters in come the hexacopters. So what’s the difference between a quadcopter and a hexacopter and why should you care?
Well, for a start a quadcopter only has four motors whereas a hexacopter has six. Having six powerful propellers instead of four has some major advantages for drone pilots—but only if you need them.
I always advise readers of my guides to know their wants and needs before they buy any unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). In other words, don’t spend money on something you have no use for.
Yuneec Typhoon H Pro
|1.6 km||25 minutes|
WL Toys Skywalker V323
|150 m||12 minutes|
MJX X800 Mini-Hexacopter
|150 m||10 minutes|
Choose Your Budget:
- Budget: Hexacopters Under $100
- Mid-Range: Hexacopters Between $100 – $200
- High-end: Hexacopters Over $200
More Hexacopter, More of Everything
Hexacopter vs quadcopter, what’s it to be?
More motors, more propellers, and a higher price tag means there’s more to go wrong (potentially) and more to lose if that happens. There are also plenty of good things to consider.
Here are some of the major advantages of a hexacopter over a quadcopter:
There are some downsides too, the most notable of these are:
Some of you reading here will already know why you want a hexacopter and are keen to view your options. Others are here out of curiosity and will be wondering if they should make the switch.
About these Hexacopter Reviews
I write all my drone reviews in an easy-to-understand format. I don’t use unnecessary jargon when there are simpler ways to explain a thing. No one—at any level—ever complains about easy reading.
I base these mini-reviews on expert opinions, real user feedback, and personal experiences with some drones. We look at flying ability, handling, photography, and video capabilities.
What we have here are seven of the best designed and value for money hexacopters at the time of compiling this guide. There’s something here whether you’re an amateur or prosumer/professional.
I’ve organized the drones in this guide by price category (cheapest to most expensive) with the editor’s best rated at the top of each category. At the end of each review is a table with specs, pros, and cons.
Here are my top seven hexacopters in the order they appear in this buyers guide:
|Drone Model/Name||Flight Range||Flight Time||Best Price|
|Top Race TR-MQ6||20 meters||7 minutes|
|MJX X600 X-SERIES||100 meters||10 minutes|
|MJX X800||150 meters||8 minutes|
|WL Toys Hexacopter||150 meters||12 minutes|
|Yuneec Typhoon H Pro||1.6 km (1 mile)||25 minutes|
|DJI Matrice 600 Pro Hexacopter||5 km (3.1 miles)||35 minutes|
|DJI Spreading Wings S900 Professional||Not specified||18 minutes|
Hexacopters Under $100
It’s true that quadcopters are generally cheaper than hexacopters. Even so, I didn’t have to search far before I came across some very competent six rotor crafts for under 100 bucks.
1. Top Race® Mini Hexacopter
- Top Race 4 Channel Mini Drone Hexacopter UFO 5 Inch Quadcopter 2.4GHz 6-Axis Gyro TR-MQ6
- Unique Quadcopter Design; 6 Separate Motors, Extremely Durable with Strong Red and Green Led Lights for Indoor and Outdoor Use.
- Full Movement: Ascend/Descend, Forward/Backward, Left/Right Rotation, Left/Right Drifting, Hovering. 3D tumbling action
- Hexacopter Size: Only 5 in. Long by 5 in. Wide, Charge time is about 20 min. for a 5-6 min. Flight.
- All included ready to fly, TR-MQ6, 2.4GHz Transmitter, USB Charging Cable, Spare blades, Propeller Guard, propeller Pick tool, Manual.
This is an inexpensive hexacopter making it an ideal toy for supervised kids. It’s also a lot of fun for anyone who loves flying tiny drones in tight spaces as a way to develop their piloting skills:
A mini hexacopter is not the most common sight but it probably should be. The Top Race® Mini has a UFO type design that flies just like a spaceship—with a little help from the user of course.
This is a tough well-made little hexacopter that survives those inevitable crashes and collisions. And the three speed-modes help new pilots to get to grips with the controls in their own time.
What you have here is a perfect flying robot for less than 30 bucks. It won’t last forever, but it certainly gives plenty of joy while it holds out.
A couple of negative points would have to be the tiny size of the remote controller (RC) and the inbuilt battery. The RC is just a bit too small for some hands. The inbuilt battery means you have to wait for it to recharge before you can take back to the air. Flight time is around 10 minutes but the battery recharge time is only 20 minutes, so that’s a blessing.
The Top Race® Mini Hexacopter is an amazing flyer and a great gift for first-timers. It’s stable and safe to fly indoors. Be careful when flying outside as it’s easy to lose because of its tiny size. The prop guards and the silicone bumpers allow you to enjoy the learning experience without worrying too much about the craft. A+++
|Weight: 227 g (8 oz.)|
|Max Flight Time: 7 minutes|
|Battery: Inbuilt (cannot replace)|
|Charging Time: 20 minutes|
|Control Range: 20 m (65 ft.)|
|Camera Type: N/A|
|Affordable mini Hexacopter|
|Beginner to advance flight modes|
|Fast and fun to fly (user-friendly)|
|Fast recharge time|
2. MJX X600 X-SERIES Hexacopter
- Product size: 38.5*42.5*6cm. Charging time is about 90-120 minutes while flight duration is about 7-9 minutes.
- 4 channels function provide stable flying and easy operation.
- 6-axis gyro with posture control - Integrated design guarantee the precise positioning of the aircraft. Strong wind and drop resistence, easy to fly, stabile flight characteristics.
- If you are experiencing trouble pairing the controller with the drone: this issue could be fixed by simply moving the left joystick on the controller up and down so it registers correctly with the drone. It is advised that buyers should let the motor rest between 5-10 minutes between flight times to prevent it from overheating. Continuous usage of the drone without making time for rest causes the motor to burn out, therefore becoming defective.
- With Headless Mode,no need to adjust the position of aircraft before flying. With One Key Return function, makes it easily to find the way home.
If you’re new to drones this little beauty will teach you all you need to know. Seriously, this is a budget-priced hexacopter that looks great and provides a lot of fun from the air.
The first thing that caught my eye with the MJX X600 was the cool design. That may seem like a small point, right. But drone pilots like their hexacopters to look great as well as fly well. The six bright colorful LED lights at the bottom also add to its appeal.
What to Expect from the MJX X600
The MJX X600 has a 6-axis gyro flight control system that provides extra stability. This is especially important for a camera (not included) drone as it helps to keep aerial footage crisp and clear.
The headless feature is also great for beginner pilots. The return to home feature brings the craft back somewhere in the vicinity the transmitter. Not a precision return but pretty darn good all the same.
There’s no actual GPS function and fancy flying is restricted to 3D flips. People who buy the MJX X600 Hexacopter have realistic expectations, though. They enjoy what it does have rather than protest about what it doesn’t. And once you master this little baby you’re ready to move on.
This hexacopter is a lot of fun to fly and provides pilots with a smooth level experience. The six motors help to keep the craft steadier than quads. This helps the operator improve their aerial photography skills. It’ll be difficult to find a hexacopter this capable for under a hundred bucks.
|Weight: 1043g (2.3 Lbs.)|
|Max Flight Time: 10+ minutes|
|Battery: 7.4V 700mAh Li-poly|
|Charging Time: 120 minutes (2 hrs.)|
|Control Range: 100 m (328 ft.)|
|Camera Type: Optional extra|
|Fun and easy to fly|
|Affordable price tag|
|6-axis gyro flight control system|
|One Key Return function|
|Three flight modes|
|No GPS function|
3. MJX X800 Mini-Hexacopter
- HEADLESS MODEL: Enables players of any level to fly the drone easily
- SUPER STABLE FLIGHT - X800 drone build-in with the latest 6-Axis Gyro flight control system and 2.4GHz Radio control technology, permits super stable flight and rapid response speed, powerful anti-interference capability.
- FUNNY & EASY OPERATION - One key 3D roll under headless mode, one key LANDING helps you recall the drone easily, 3 flight speed available for choosing: L is low speed; M is medium speed; H is high speed, satisfied different playing needs.
- GRAVITY CONTROL MODE - The most interesting way control the quad copter just lean the transmitter and the quad copter will fly to the direction you leaned.
- SEARCHLIGHT - Colorful searchlight not only makes night flight much easier,but also makes the helicopter looks more attractive.
There’s a lot to marvel over with the beautiful MJX X-800 mini-hexacopter for its price tag.
What to Expect from the MJX X800 Mini
It’s surprisingly powerful, wind-resistant, it has a robust build, and a decent 100m flight range. It also gets quite sporty once you enter the advanced mode. The ultra-bright LEDs make the X800 idea for flying at night or in low-light conditions.
The flight time—though average for a mini-drone—is a little disappointing at just 8-minutes max. I also like to see drones come with crash protection. Unfortunately, the prop guards on this model can be fiddly to take off and put on. It’s a minor point but still worth a mention for anyone with big hands.
The hexacopters headless and gravity modes make it especially appealing for beginners. Another nice feature is that it’s camera-ready. That means there’s an option to add a camera (not included). There’s also the much loved one-key 3D roll feature that drone operators can’t seem to get enough of.
There are some complaints about how fiddly it can be to fine-tune the drone. It’s particularly annoying when trying to set up the MJX X800 indoors—in a tight space. For around $25, though, it’s hard to find too much to gripe about considering what you get for the money.
Look no further than the MJX X800 Mini if you’re just getting into drones or mini-hexacopters more specifically. It will give you lots of flying fun and opportunity to practice your flying skills.
|Weight: 544g (1.2 Lbs.)|
|Max Flight Time: 8 minutes|
|Battery: 3.7V 750mAh|
|Charging Time: 120 minutes (2 hrs.)|
|Control Range: 150 m (492 ft.)|
|Camera Type: Optional extra|
|Affordable and fun|
|LVC alarm feature|
|Three flight speed modes|
|Decent flight range|
|Gravity mode (ideal for beginner pilots)|
|Bright colorful searchlight|
|Awkward prop guards|
|Flimsy landing skids|
|Fiddly to fine tune|
|Fairly long recharge time|
Hexacopters under $200
We’re still in the world of beginners and hobbyists at this price range but there’s change in the air (pun intended). I’ve included one little beaut in this section for those ready for an upgrade.
4. WL Toys RC Hexacopter Skywalker V323 Drone
- This 360 degree unlimited eversion hexacopter drone takes the traditional quadcopter to a whole new level spanning a whopping 32" in diameter.
- Wltoys has crafted this RC helicopter with durable ABS plastic and 6 blades which are protected by a molded foam shell that absorbs impact making it super stable and easy to fly.
- Expected flight time per battery charge will range from 9 to 12 minutes. Charging time per battery takes 90 to 120 minutes.
- Hexacopter is ready to fly! All you have to do is hand throw, turn up throttle and then fly! The flying radius of this drone spans approximately 100 to 150 meters.
- Equipped with a bonus function: Flying in CF Mode will program the flight controller to recall which direction is "forward" when the craft is armed (based on a magnetic compass reading), and use that direction as "forward" regardless of the current throttle / yaw orientation of the aircraft.
The WLToys V323 is the perfect choice for anyone getting serious about hexacopters. This beast is big, stable beyond belief, and lots of fun to fly. But it’s not feature-packed so why is it here?
Some people love miniature drones, i.e. nano and micro crafts. Others like the balance of average-sized UAVs. And then we have those who think big is beautiful and far more fun. Well … the Skywalker is huge, but it’s easy rather than awkward to master. It sports headless mode too.
The Skywalker V323 is ready to fly (RTF) out of the box. The flight stability of the V323 hexacopter makes it a perfect choice for the novice who’s not afraid of its size. It’s not much of a racer but it’s certainly a good training craft. It’s enjoyable to fly too—that’s all most pilots ask for.
There’s no camera with the WLToys RC Hexacopter but don’t be too disappointed. It does have a dual clip system that allows the operator to attach a GoPro or other camera to it.
There are a few reports from users about the motors overheating when pushed too hard for too long. The solution, therefore, is not to push it nonstop at full throttle.
The size and power of the WLToys RC Hexacopter Skywalker V323 impress most people. And although the short-ish flight time’s a bit annoying, there’s a lot more to like than to complain about. If you want to see-and-be-seen then you’re ready to have some large-scale fun with this puppy.
|Weight: 1978 g (4.4 Lbs.)|
|Max Flight Time: 12 minutes|
|Battery: 1600 mAh 7.4V LiPo|
|Charging Time: 90+ minutes (1.5+ hrs.)|
|Control Range: 150m (492 ft.)|
|Camera Type: N/A (can add as accessory)|
|Ready to Fly (RTF)|
|Easy to see, easy to fly|
|Spare parts readily available|
|BIG affordable fun|
|No camera included|
|Slow yaw rate|
|Motors can overheat|
Hexacopters Over $200
Okay, there’s quite a leap now between the other two price categories. Quadcopters seem to have something for every price increment. There’s much less choice with hexacopters, though.
I have three models in this category aimed more at the serious hobbyist or prosumer. It’s a major step up from what we’ve seen so far in this guide, with extra features and more accessories to think about.
5. Yuneec Typhoon H Pro Hexacopter
- READY OUT OF THE BOX - Comes with ST16 all-in-one controller (no need for a separate phone / tablet), Integrated 7-inch Android touchscreen, Wizard, backpack, extra battery and extra props
- SAFE TO FLY WITH BUILT-IN COLLISION AVOIDANCE - Intel RealSenseTM Technology intelligently navigates around obstacles, FAA compliant no-fly zone, 6 rotor safety with 5 rotor fail-safe, and ultrasonic collision prevention
- EASY TO FLY - GPS stabilized flight control, with 8 smart flight modes, automatic return to home, auto takeoff and auto land. No experience needed
- 4K STUNNING VIDEO & IMAGE QUALITY - 4K Ultra High Definition video, 12 megapixel photos, full 360° anti-vibration gimbal, retractable landing gear for 360° filming, and team mode so one films while the other flies. 720p digital video downlink
- UPGRADED ONE YEAR WARRANTY - Guarantees against manufacturer defects from the original date of purchase
The Typhoon line of quality quadcopters is here. They’ve established a top slot on the consumer drone market. The Typhoon H Pro is no exception. Let’s look at the reasons why:
I chose the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro because of its popularity and advanced features. The retractable landing gear impressed me in particular as it’s a rare thing for a drone in this class. The 360-degree rotating camera with its 4K video and 12MP stills is definitely worth a mention. And there’re plenty of opportunities to shoot impressive aerial footage with the 25 minutes of optimal flight time.
My major gripe is the slight outer edge distortion with the wide-angle lens. It’s not bad, but it’s still noticeable for anyone with a critical eye. The long 2-hour charge time for batteries is another bugbear.
Overall, this is an incredibly easy hexacopter to fly. You can choose from the autonomous flight modes using the dedicated controller which has a 7″ built-in touchscreen. Modes include follow/watch-me mode, return to home, point-of-interest, journey mode, and curve cable cam.
Most who buy the Typhoon H Pro Hexacopter seem more than pleased with their purchase. They like its professional features, the price tag, and the excellent after-sales service provided by Yuneec.
The Yuneec Typhoon H has everything you’d expect from a prosumer camera drone and a bit more besides. It won’t check everyone’s boxes but it certainly won’t disappoint those who invest in it.
|Weight: 1800 g (4 Lbs.)|
|Max Flight Time: 25 minutes|
|Battery: 5400mAh 4S/14.8V|
|Charging Time: 120 minutes (2+ hrs.)|
|Control Range: 1.6km (1 mile)|
|Camera Type: 360° rotating 4K, 12MP|
|Easy to fly hexacopters|
|Can fly on five rotors|
|Retractable landing gear|
|Quality 360° rotating camera|
|Folding arms make it portable|
|ST16 controller with built-in Android touch-screen|
|No battery indicator|
|Camera mount a bit flimsy|
|A little outer-edge distortion from the wide angle lens|
|Long recharging times (battery and controller)|
6. DJI Matrice 600 Pro Hexacopter
- Works with Zenmuse Gimbals / Cameras, Works with Ronin-MX Gimbal
- Up to 34 Pound Total Take-Off Weight, Integrated Lightbridge 2 Support
- Full HD 1080p Live Monitoring, A3 Pro Flight Controller
- Controllable with DJI Go App Increased Performance / Modular Design
- Collapsible Design for Easy Transport, Six Flight Batteries and Six-Bay Charger
This is a significant Hexacopter for prosumer and professional level pilots. It’s a real workhorse of the sky too. It gives serious drone operators plenty of opportunities to be as creative as they need to be.
When you’re ready for the Matrice 600 Pro Hexacopter you know exactly where you’re at and where you’re heading. It also looks great—but then it’s not cheap—so what’s with all the fuss?
Well, it’s as strong as an ox—figuratively speaking of course. Its high payload capacity lets you attach an impressive range of Zenmuse cameras, gimbals, and other accessories. This really is professional aerial filmmaking at your fingertips.
The DJI Matrice 600 Pro has an impressive flight range of 5km and around 35 minutes of flight time in optimal conditions. You can expect a top speed of around 40 mph to get you to where you want to be in plenty of time. The controller is as impressive as the hexacopter. It uses Lightbridge 2, which is an intelligent long-range video downlink (DL) feature.
You can prepare this drone and the way you fly it to work pretty much how you need it to. The RC has both standard and customized button options which give the operator greater control.
The cost of this drone may seem high for the hobbyist but it’s all relative to the pilot who sees it as a tool of the trade. And with the DJI name to back it up, there’re a lot of reasons to shortlist the Matrice 600 Pro as an effective working hexacopter.
|Weight: 9500g (21 lbs.)|
|Max Flight Time: 35 minutes|
|Battery: 6000 mAh LiPo 2S|
|Charging Time: 90+ minutes (1.5+ hrs.)|
|Control Range: 5 Km (3.1 miles)|
|Max Speed: 18m/s (40 mph)|
|Camera Type: Multiple options|
|Huge payload capability|
|Long distance range|
|Excellent flight safety features|
|Stable reliable flyer|
|Decent flight time|
|Open app development|
|Add-ons not cheap|
7. DJI Spreading Wings S900 Pro Hexacopter
- This version bundles the S900 air frame with the A2 flight controller and your choice of Z15 Gimbals.
- Lightweight materials such as a sturdy carbon fiber frame make flights more enjoyable by lasting longer
- New and improved motors makes for a much more reliable flight. Spark proof plug will prevent short circuits when you plug in.
- Improved power distribution system insures no cables will come loose during flight. Better footage by a reduction in vibrations caused by strategically using dampers to separate the mainframe with the gimbal bracket.
- Removable upper centerboard allows easy access and faster installation of flight controller
My final pick is yet another higher-end professional hexacopter. It doesn’t come cheap but then the demanding filmmaker doesn’t want to skimp on quality features or drone ability.
The DJI Spreading Wings S900 Professional hexacopter is a great choice for serious filmmakers. Its lugability factor, strength, and exceptional quality add further to its appeal.
If you’ve produced movie-quality video before you’ll understand how the little things can make the biggest difference. The retractable landing gear and a low gimbal support bracket afford the filmmaker lots of creative options. Not all hexacopters sport such a wide-range of filming angles.
The minimized vibrations result in shake-free clearer footage with consistently professional video and stills. This UAV boasts great power and impressive stability when pitching and rolling the craft.
The version I point to in this guide comes with an A2 flight controller system. For the gimbal you get to choose from any of the Z15 Gimbals. So it has a large appeal among professional photographers and filmmakers. The S900 is also a popular hexacopter for search & rescue and law enforcement, etc.
If you want to launch your DSLR into the skies you can do it knowing your equipment is safe and secure. The innovative DJI Spreading Wings S900 provides professional fun for the serious filmmaker.
The only downside is that it doesn’t come preassembled so there’s quite a bit of setting up to do. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing, though. After all, the more you learn about the mechanics of the S900, the more you get to control the Hexacopter the way you want it to handle.
|Weight: 3.3kg (7.3 Lbs.)|
|Max Flight Time: 18 minutes|
|Battery: 6S 12000mAh|
|Charging Time: X|
|Control Range: Not specified|
|Camera Type: DSLR-sized cameras|
|Excellent value for money|
|Works with a range of attachments|
|Steady flight/easily controllable|
|Programmable landing gear|
|Choice of batteries and controllers|
|Carbon fiber used in construction making a light and durable build|
|Amazing choice of shooting angles|
|Need to assemble and set up|
|Not compatible with all gimbals and controllers so choose with care|
- One for Every Budget – Beginners to Advanced
- Yuneec Typhoon H Pro
- WL Toys Skywalker V323
- MJX X800 Mini-Hexacopter
- Choose Your Budget:
- More Hexacopter, More of Everything
- About these Hexacopter Reviews
- Hexacopters Under $100
- 1. Top Race® Mini Hexacopter
- 2. MJX X600 X-SERIES Hexacopter
- 3. MJX X800 Mini-Hexacopter
- Hexacopters under $200
- 4. WL Toys RC Hexacopter Skywalker V323 Drone
- Hexacopters Over $200
- 5. Yuneec Typhoon H Pro Hexacopter
- 6. DJI Matrice 600 Pro Hexacopter
- 7. DJI Spreading Wings S900 Pro Hexacopter